Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wave Your Flag! {Blog Hop}

Welcome to my day on the Flags on a Stick blog hop! 

For this hop (that the amazing Mdm Samm thought up and instigated with the wonderful Thearica as organizer and cheerleader), we were supposed to create a flag... Thank you to both of you for all you have done, and of course, lots of love to our hop sponsors (See Mdm Samm's post for their information)!


I made a Birthday Flag!

You see, little Evelyn will soon be turning ONE! And, I wanted a little something to spruce up the dining area for her special day (this is definitely an inside flag). I also want to be able to use it through the years and use it for all the birthdays in the family... therefore I made it reversible!


See, here's the boys side! 

No, this is definitely not a crazy way to say that I'm expecting a little boy to be joining the family anytime soon (uffda!). I just figured if Evelyn and I get to enjoy the girly side on our birthdays, then Dan needs a boyish side for his birthday :) 

... 
... 
... and if it would so happen that we are blessed with a baby boy someday, then so be it, I already have a birthday flag ready ;)



I've been wanting to practice my lettering appliqué, since I plan on helping Mom make more of these Monikered Baby Bags in the near future (her usual new-baby-gift). I think I got plenty of practice in with this project! My flag turned out to be about 16" x 30" with the hanging sleeve.

While planning this project, I also wanted to use up my scraps - each of the letters were cut from my scrap bin of 5" charms. The balloons are made with 3" scraps, and the prairie points (a first for me! such fun!!!) were made with triangles cut from more 5" charms.

The ric-rac is from my stash (the blue package actually had a copyright of 1931 and told me to wash it by boiling it with pure soap or soap flakes. Hmm... not exactly my usual washing routine...)

The white fabric, binding and sleeve material are also from my stash.



I chose a windy day to take pictures... 
But then again, it's usually windy here... that's just the way of life out here on the prairie! 



Thanks so much for stopping by! Now, go see what kind of flag everyone else is waving today... 
And be sure to share some love with them!

March 27th

Bumbleberry Stitches

Quilted Delights

Red Quilts

On the Banks of Frog Creek (I'm waving from here!)

Words & Stitches

K and S Sweets and Stitching

~*~*~*~*~*~


PS: The entire time I wrote this post, I was singing my alma mater's fight song. The first lines go like this...

Ring the Bells for South Dakota... 
the yellow and the blue... 
daaa, da, da, da, da, da, daaaa, da... 
da, da, da, da, da, da... 
(Can't you tell I know it real well?! Ha).
However, for this hop, you know that I couldn't sing it correctly. 
I had to sing it like this...
WAVE THE FLAG FOR SOUTH DAKOTA! :)
That is all. 
Happy Hopping!

48 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I know my kiddos would love to see it in the house on their special day. I can hardly believe that your little one is almost 1. Great little flag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea and a super cute flag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you made your Birthday flag reversible! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great birthvday flag, just perfect that it is reversible and does double duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea because you could use it so many times each year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, your flag is such a good idea...a birthday tradition ! I go to SD once or twice a year and the wind duth blow !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly will be waving the flag for Evelyn soon. How great that you'll be using it many times for birthdays throughout the year. I love the idea of a boy/girl side to the flag. Long may she wave for many, many happy, happy birthdays. Your first prairie points are fabulous. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever idea to make it double-sided! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very festive! And a great idea for birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your birthday flag is fabulous! Happy birthday to your sweet little Evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute Heidi and I do love your blue rick rack..better hide it lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I just love your birthday flag! What a perfect idea to have on hand for all those birthday celebrations. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun flag! I can see it becoming a family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Heidi, weeee Evelyn turns one, and a birthday flag that shouts that...brilliant....how many wee ones would love a flag about them...at any age wink....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that your flag is reversible! Those prarrie points are just the perfect touch to the message,ttthanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crazy fun! I love the fabric choices on BOTH sides! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute flag and thought you were going to be humming "Happy Birthday to Evelyn".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great flag! Now I'm going to have the fight song in my head all day. I used to play it in the Pride of the Dakotas marching band when I was in college, but I don't think I ever learned all the words back then either. Go Jacks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous idea, having a birthday flag, and especially a reversible one! It came out nicely and great use of the Prairie Points (so fitting for you). Happy first birthday to Evelyn!
    ~Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it...so festive and bright. I love how you incorporated the boarded on top...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great idea! I knew a teacher once who made birthday chair capes for her students. Your flag reminds me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your birthday flag is adorable and I'm sure it will be a treasure for years to come. It looks great blowing in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun idea ... and sew nicely done! I really like the way you made this flag reversible and all the little details like the prairie points. The lettering looks great. I need to learn to letter better. These style of lettering really shows off the fabrics you chose. Evelyn (and all the men in your life) will enjoy it for years to come. I am sure your little girl will always treasure the banner her mommy made for her. Sew sweet! Thanks for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is definately going to be a little one with a big smile on her face when she sees her special birthday flag! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful birthday flag! It's so much fun to use up scraps for fun little projects, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun flag! I love the idea of a Birthday Flag that is reversible! Beth @ Words & Stitches, pbstrand@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now, those are just original and adorable! Love that you can sing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a great idea! It is sew cute and love t he idea of two sided. Sweet prairie points and a fun touch and love the rick rack. Happy for sure

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your flag is very cute and creative! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea. Birthdays will be even more special with a flag waving a birthday wish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your birthday flag! The ricrac string is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Uffda???? Another Norski, as my dad used to call my mom. Even if you have no boy of your own, you can always share the flag with relatives and friends who are having birthdays. Great way to add to the celebration. Enjoy your little one's first birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a creative idea to make a his and her birthday flag. Good use of stash.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a beautiful project I'm sure it will bring joy to your family for many years

    ReplyDelete
  35. everyone could use a birthday flag!
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cute flag for Birthday. I agree, everyone needs one!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh you sang in perfect note too....I love Birthdays and that flag is just Birthday perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's a great idea to make a birthday flag and yours is so cheery with it's balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great flag. You've inspired me to make another flag, to wave on our birthdays

    ReplyDelete
  40. That is adorable and what a great idea for the blog hop!! It's perfect!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is such a fun and creative way to celebrate a special birthday. Thank you sew very much for Hopping and Flag Flying...

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a fun flag! Usable for so very many birthdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great idea! I may just need to make a birthday flag too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love your birthday flag! I think I will make one.... would be so much fun to hang for those special days! Thank you for sharing your wonderful flag!

    ReplyDelete