Monday, October 13, 2014

More Shirts for E

Delia recently posted printables for making diy graphic shirts. That gave me the itch! The crafty itch! 
It was time to make some shirts using freezer paper stencils for my daughter!! :) 

Shirts: Walmart
Paint: Walmart

PLAY: Delia printout here
JACKS: A logo from my college athletics
SNOWFLAKE: Google Clipart Search

Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Young One's Wall Art {E's Room}

I decided that Evelyn needed more on her walls, so I browsed Pinterest for some wall art ideas. Ever since I learned how to create my own using this tutorial, I have felt more confident in making more (here was my first project).

There are a lot of great ideas on Pinterest, so I kind of picked and choosed before I went to Photoshop and created a print-out that was the exact same size as the wood board I found out in the wood pile that came with our house. 

The piece had been done for several weeks (and annoying my husband for just lying on our kitchen island), before we put up the mirror. I couldn't hang the art before I knew how tall the mirror would be. But now, the mirror is up, the art is up and my husband doesn't have to be annoyed by my projects lying all over the kitchen... well, until I come up with another crafty project :)

Monday, October 6, 2014

Quilt on the Wall {E's Room}

 Evelyn's room is the only room that we have truly made our own... paint and all. 

Eventually you'll get all the details, but for now, I'll show you how I hung a quilt that doesn't have a quilt sleeve.

 This is the quilt that my mother-in-law made for Evelyn when she was born. After we painted her room in our new house, I realized how well the quilt matches the color scheme! However, there was the slight problem. This quilt wasn't intended to go on the wall, so Kari didn't sew on a quilt sleeve. I wasn't about to possibly ruin her beautiful work by added a sleeve after the fact, so I came up with a plan.


 I spent a long time searching home improvement stores for fancy nails (because really, what kind of mom wants to go traipsing around mutliple stores with a young toddler searching for something that might not be in stock?!). I finally found these on the Lowes website. When they arrived, I realized they weren't exactly what I had in mind, but they do work perfectly! 

I put two regular nails into the wall and tied on a double thickness of a thin twine I had on hand. After attaching the quilt with regular clothespins and seeing that my vision was in fact going to work, I finally nailed in the huge, decorative nails with a rubber mallet.

Doesn't it look so great about Evelyn's future bed?? I may eventually paint the clothespins or at least decorate with washi tape, but for now, I'm in love :)

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sneaky Peak and October Goal {ALYOF}

I missed out on September's goal setting. At the beginning of September, I wasn't sure if I'd get anything done, so I was pleasantly surprised when I actually did get some work done.

So, here I am getting back on the goal-posting-track. My October goal is to have this Halloween project finished for the Black Cat Crossing Blog Hop. Come back on October 30th to see the finish!

(The hop starts on the 20th... don't miss any of the fantastic projects!)

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Quickest. Finish. Ever.

About two weeks ago... well, maybe 2 and a half weeks... I received an invitation to my cousin's baby shower. I had always intended on sewing her a baby quilt, but in reality, nothing was planned - I mean, she wasn't due until November; I had plenty of time!

Well, that invite was the kick start I needed! That same day, I went to my charm "scraps" and picked out a mix of charms... 48 charms of colors, texts, patterns and other i-spy items. I even dug in my stash to see if I had anything suitable for the border, backing and binding. All in the same day. That's a lot of planning, ha ;)

No need to run to the store with an over-energetic toddler when you have everything on hand! Score!

Quick quilting of diagonal lines...

... and a pieced backing of tractors and monkeys.

I still can't believe I got it finished in time. Most of it was actually sewn the week before... because 2.5 weeks just isn't exciting enough... why not wait to just have one week?! 
Yeah, I don't understand myself all the time either :)

Happy last few weeks, cousin! 

Friday, August 29, 2014

This 'n' That

The daughter's room has been painted, her furniture has been painted, and her walls are being decorated. My husband's office desk will be painted soon, along with some reclaimed wood shelves. 

Pictures to come... eventually!

But in sewing news, I have a few projects on my to-do list! I can't chat too much about this one, since it's for the upcoming Halloween blog hop...

I have two baby quits basted and ready to be quilted, plus two others than still need to be basted first. Let's not even talk about the baby gifts for friends and dresses for Ev that I'm excited to sew!

I'll end this random posting with some stormy pictures. I was able to practice using my camera's remote and shutter speed settings to try and capture lightning bolts, since we had quite the show last week... the storm did eventually get to us, and left us with more than 2" of rain. 

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Boring Goal Completed Post {ALYOF}

My August Goal (link #72 in the link party) was simple... Sew borders onto two baby quilts.

I finished them about halfway through the month!

Time to get them basted and quilted :) along with umpteen hundred other sewing and diy projects!