Monday, March 10, 2014

My New Jewel


I am the proud new owner of a vintage sewing machine and table! It belonged to Dan's grandma, who passed away before I had ever met Dan. Most of her things have been in the basement of one of the family farms, which is currently lived in by Dan's cousin's family. Well, they are finally cleaning out and redoing part of that basement, so I have had the opportunity to acquire some fun goodies!

The prize jewel has been this Montgomery Ward's 23 Jewel Automatic ZigZag sewing machine, probably manufactured in Japan in the 50s(?). There is a lot of information out there on the internet on the older sewing machines made prior to WW2, but there is not a lot out there about this era of machines.

Since it's a "23 Jewel" there are 23 cams, meaning that there are 23 different types of possible stitches. I haven't even tried to plug it in yet, but for the most part, it does seem to be in good shape. It's sitting at my parents' house right now. I look forward to having it in my future sewing room (and if I don't get a sewing room, it will make a beautiful side table in a living room!!). I hope to learn more about it someday, but until then I will continue to love it... isn't the blue color just amazing?

2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful machine and you are so lucky to have it. Michelle at this blog address http://lifewithlou.blogspot.com/ had many, many posts about cleaning up and rescuing old machines. She is the sweetest thing ever and is happy to answer any questions and to give advice about cleaning. Most old machines that sit for a long time unused need a good cleaning - something about the oil getting hard I think she said - but you can easily do it yourself (according to her). I haven't been lucky enough to need her advice yet but I'm still on the search! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cool. I like the older machines and it is hard to come by one in such good shape. My husband doesn't understand why I like my 4 older machines, but I do. Have a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete